A top level conference and networking event to discuss
the challenges facing the Turkish demolition sector
Top-level conference covering both international and Turkish projects
A perfect forum for delegates to network with fellow professionals
Click the session header
to open and close
2013 DCT PROGRAMME
08:00 – 08:45
Registration, networking and morning coffee
08.45 – 09:00
Welcome & Opening Remarks:
Session Chairman: Bill Moore, Brandenburg Industrial Services, USA
WELCOME: Minister, Ministry of Environment and Urban Planning of Turkey
09:00 – 09:25
SPEAKER: Howard Button, Chief Executive, National Federation of Demolition Contractors
TOPIC: National associations and their role in training the industry
09:25 – 09:50
SPEAKER: John Woodward, C&D Consultancy & immediate past president of the Institute of Demolition Engineers, UK
TOPIC: Demolition works – Safety is king
• Why do we have accidents in demolition?
• Prevention of those accidents.
• Training for all - keep it simple.
• Team work pays.
• We can do this.
EQUIPMENT UPDATE SESSION:
09:50 – 10:15
SPEAKER: Lindsay Gale, Editor, Demolition & Recycling International, UK
TOPIC: Overview of modern equipment
• Overview of modern demolition techniques
• Today’s demolition equipment
• Recycling the buzzword
10:15 – 10:40
SPEAKER: Burkhard Janssen, Product Marketing Manager, Kiesel GmbH
TOPIC: High Reach Demolition Business in Central Europe. Market trends and tendencies from a distributors/manufacturers perspective
• Market size, demolition company structures, leading products and preferred demolition tools
• Typical jobsites, transport conditions, legal limitations and special applications
• Excavator as a single-purpose demolition machine or as a multi-purpose tool carrier (multi carrier) for various demolition applications?
• Customer expectations: Traditional sales,
One-stop-shopping, System Provider Solutions?
• Outlook: Trends regarding versatility, high reach dimensions, tool weights and environmental requirements (noise, dust, emissions)
10:40 – 10:55 Q&A Session
10:55 – 11:25 Morning coffee
EXPLOSIVE DEMOLITION SESSION:
11:25 – 11:55
SPEAKER: Dick Green, Index Ltd, UK
TOPIC: Explosive demolition – a precision tool at the right time and the right place
• The different phases of works involved in the preparation of a concrete tower block for explosive demolition.
• Criteria for a successful explosive demolition.
• An example of type of explosive required and how by using delay detonators you can dictate the direction of fall of a structure.
• Briefly cover the setting up of the on the day Exclusion Zone.
• The need for Test blasting and examples of protective measures that can be employed.
11:55 – 12:20
SPEAKER: David Sinclair, Past Demolition Consultant to UNOPS
TOPIC: Red Road – urban explosive demolition in practice
12:20 – 12:40 Q&A Session
12:40 – 13:40 Lunch
Howard Button, Chief Executive, National Federation of Demolition Contractors
13:40 – 14:05
SPEAKER: Bill Moore, Brandenburg Industrial Services, USA
TOPIC: Demolition after disaster – emergency response capabilities
• American demolition experiences after the Murrah Federal Building bombing and the New York City World Trade Center attack.
• Earthquake damage and demolition in the United States and India.
• Preparation and training of government agencies for future emergency disaster rescue situations and demolition.
• Advances in demolition equipment.
14:05 – 14:30
SPEAKER: David Sinclair, Past Demolition Consultant to UNOPS
TOPIC: After Haiti – the UN experience
14.30 – 14:55
SPEAKER: Diana Stil, Managing Director of Nikau Contractors, New Zealand
CASE STUDY: Christchurch – Demolition following disaster
• The event and the search and rescue operation
• The scale of devastation
• Challenges for the demolition industry
• Key lessons and the implications for procedures and best practice
• The road to recovery
14:55 – 15:15 Q&A Session
15:15 – 15:45 Afternoon tea
15:45 – 16:10
SPEAKER: Dan Costello, President, Costello Dismantling, USA
PROJECT REPORT: Site report 1
16:10 – 16:35
SPEAKERS: Stuart Accleton MIDE Grad IOSH MIIRSM, Group Health and Safety Director & David Darsey FIDE FRSA, Managing Director (Demolition), Erith, UK
PROJECT REPORT: Waste reduction & recycling of materials in demolition
• Site Waste Management Plans (pre contract start)
• Waste Identification
• Identification of recycling partners
• Waste segregation at source
• Cradle to grave recorded process
16:35 – 17:00
SPEAKER: Representative from Turkish contractors, Turkey
PROJECT REPORT: Site report 3
Questions followed by closing remarks and a networking drinks reception
Demolition Conference Turkey 2013 a hit
More than 300 delegates from Turkey and the region attended the first joint KHL/Apa Demolition Conference Turkey, held at the Marriot Asia Hotel on the Asian side of the city of Istanbul on March 7, 2013.
The event included a mix of Turkish speakers and some of the best-known names in the industry from around the world, including Brandenburg's Bill Moore, Erith's Dave Darsey and Stuart Accleton, the NFDC's chief executive Howard Button and Diane Stil of Nikau Contractors, who without question scooped the prize for the furthest travelled attendee.
With a major demolition drive announced, the country will see some 6.5 million buildings deemed not sufficiently earthquake resistant demolished over the next 20 years. However, the demolition industry in the country is at a relatively early stage in its development and the expertise and advice of contractors from outside the country is being welcomed.
With this in mind, the final announcement of the day was that the second Demolition Conference Turkey will be held in early March 2014, once again with key figures from the demolition sector once again offering an insight into the best the industry can offer. The date and venue will be announced in due course.
1 - 36
Genel Müdür Yardımcısı
IMDER yönetim kurulu başkani
Chief Executive, National Federation of Demolition Contractors
Stuart Accleton - presentation on behalf of John Woodward
C&D Consultancy & immediate past president of the Institute of Demolition Engineers, UK
Editor, Demolition & Recycling International, UK
Product Marketing Manager, Kiesel GmbH
Index Ltd, UK
Brandenburg Industrial Services, USA
Past Demolition Consultant to UNOPS
President, Costello Dismantling, USA
Dr. İbrahim Sönmez
With the support of the Ministry of Environment and Urban Planning of Turkey
Supported by the leading manufacturers association in Turkey